Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Relegated trio

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5115

Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Relegated trio   Mon May 25, 2009 5:10 pm

So what is next for the three clubs to go down to the Championship from the Premier?

Do you fancy anyone of them to come right back up?

What players will they lose whether they want to or not, to other Premier clubs or leagues abroad?

How many of the three will have the same manager in the Championship?

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Relegated trio   Tue May 26, 2009 3:03 pm

I think West Brom has the best chance, they are one of those yo yo teams up one year down the next. They are too good for the Championship but not good enough for the Premier. Many of their players where with West Brom two years ago when the won the Championship. They know what it takes to succeed at that level and they can play attract football for the Championship level. I would expect that they would lose Chris Blunt, I remember him as a teenager at Sheffield Wednesday and a lot of people in Sheffield were upset that Wednesday was forced to sell him. The last month he has been on fire and almost single handily kept West Brom up. Their keeper Carson maybe off, I am not sure whether he is owned by West Brom or still on loan, but he will want Premiership football if he hopes to be England's number one one day. Maybe one of the teams coming up will look at Carson or one or two of West Brom's defenders; Zuiverloon, Olsson or Donk. Bednar the striker is another one that maybe looked at by some of the teams fighting relegation next season, but he has recently been busted for drugs, so who knows about his future. It's a must that they keep Tony Mowbray the manager, who today has been linked to Celtic. If they keep Mowbray and most of their players that they want to keep and trim some of the dead wood West Brom have a good chance of coming back up.

Number of posts : 1492

Registration date : 2008-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Relegated trio   Tue May 26, 2009 3:28 pm

Boro and Newcastle are surely in the most trouble (Boro especially) given that they are most likely to lose their players. That said, I would expect at least one of them to come back up but only if the attitude is right.

What is always disappointing to me is the ease with which players can leave their relegated clubs and go back into the Premier. Ultimately it is the players fault they have gone down (especially in the case of the abysmal attitude of most of the Newcastle side) but yet they suffer no consequence because of it. The players didnt even look disappointed at the end of the game, with players like Owen just trudging off, probably considering which other PL club will pay him 100grand a week next year.

Should be a rule introduced that players under contract should play at least one year in the lower division with a pay cut (proportional to revenue lost to the club due to relegation). That would make them try harder and also stop all the consequence falling on the club and supporters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Relegated trio   Tue May 26, 2009 3:36 pm

Have been hearing similar views about players on relegated teams. They are the reason they went down and quite a few didn't seem to be all that bothered. Unfortuanetly with most players having little connection to the clubs and the cities they play for, that's the way it is today. With their contracts and player's rights there is no chance of passing a rule that binds the players to a team that went down on a reduced salary.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Relegated trio   Tue May 26, 2009 3:59 pm

Of the three that went down I think Newcastle are the least equipped to come back up next year or in the foreseeable future. Newcastle's situation is somewhat similar to Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds and Nottingham Forest when they were relegated from the top flight. I suspect that Newcastle will follow the same path as the above three and go down to League One before they straighten things out, just as Norwich, Southampton and Charlton have gone down to League One this year.

Most clubs that go down have it written in their players' contracts that they will be on reduced wages in the Championship, Newcastle hasn't done this and the bulk of their squad are on big wages. There are too many players with big egos, but that's the whole problem with everything connected to this club. They are not suited for the Championship, the style of play, the physical nature of the game there, the small stadiums and not so pristine pitches. Newcastle are going to have to clean house, but who will pay big money for the bulk of this squad. They are past their prime and on huge wages. Bassong is wanted by a number of Premier clubs and Steven Taylor is highly thought of, but these are two players they should try to keep. Obafemi Martins should attract a decent transfer fee, but he maybe the only one. Unless Ashley is prepared to spend big and bring in some decent players that are suited for this league, Newcastle are not coming back up for a long time.

There are very few clubs in football that have been as poorly run as Newcastle has the last 20 years and Ashley is still a wildcard there. His record in hiring and firing managers has been terrible and whether he is able to come to some agreement with Alan Shearer to remain as manager for 3 or 4 years is unknown. So is Shearer history in bringing in players, he has never been involved in the transfer market. Can he attract decent players who are willing to come to Newcastle? It was said that Shearer as a big attraction would be able to motivate Newcastle players and keep them up. But that never happened and who knows if he will be able to get the most out of next year's squad whoever they will be?

I think Newcastle has too many problems to turn around things quickly and it will be a few years at least before they are back in the top flight.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Relegated trio   Tue May 26, 2009 4:20 pm

Of the three that has gone down Middlesborough is the hardest for me to predict what they will do in the next few seasons. They have a good solid Chairman in Steve Gibson and I am impressed with the way they have developed young kids and brought them up to first team. Wheater and Johnson in particular and it is paramount that they hang on to both of these. It seems that they are going to lose Downing, although his latest injury may put that off until January. But with all the accolades that Downing gets, he didn't score a single goal this year, so maybe if they could get 10 million plus for him it would make sense to sell him this summer.

This is a club that I thought would have stayed up. There have been times this year they have played some good football, especially defensively. The big money they spent on Alves who has never really warrented his transfer fee was wasted. And with their limited budget they were unable to bring in any help upfront in January.

I am not really sold on Southgate as a manager and I think Gibson has taken so much flack for hiring him in the first place, that he has gotten his back up and is staying with him in spite of everything. If Middlesborough can hang on to their kids and Gibson can cut Southgate loose and get a decent manager in there, or maybe Southgate can show he can manage at the Championship level than Middlesborough have a chance to come back up. But I expect Middlesborough will have to sell a couple of their promising kids, Tucay will be off somewhere and Southgate will remain as manager and prove to be no better in the Championship then he was in the Premier, resulting in Middlesborough staying in the Championship for a year or two at least.

Number of posts : 995

Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Relegated trio   Tue May 26, 2009 5:02 pm

Newcastle have to chop the wage bill by 300 million.. and Viduka and Owen will be going, so thats already 200k of the 600k a week they need to slash, slashed Neutral

They need a huge revamp if they want to come back up, i doubt that all 3 are coming straight back up anyway. Boro are going to lose quality players like Tuncay.. who is linked with Blackburn Wink

Concerning West Brom, i would not be surprised to see them in the running or there abouts all season, they went down in style this season, playing some very attractive football, which imo you can do in the championship and still go up with a club like West Brom, but doing so in the Premiership with a club that doesn't have the quality, of say Aston villa- for example.. you will get screwed and be relegated.

An example of a team that did the opposite to West Brow, would be Stoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Relegated trio
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1