Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Beckham's 100th Cap

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5115

Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Beckham's 100th Cap   Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:40 pm

With Beckham being named in the current squad there is a chance he will get his 100th Cap for England. I am undecided about this.

I feel that Beckham's time on the international scene has come and gone and what with him taking early retirement and playing in a Sunday league, does he deserve the 10th Cap?

The 100th Cap is symbolic, it means something to be in the same category as the following;

125 Peter Shilton 1970-1990 (Leicester, Stoke, Nottm Forest, Southampton, Derby County)
108 Bobby Moore 1962-1973 (West Ham United)
106 Sir Bobby Charlton 1958-1970 (Manchester United)
105 Billy Wright 1946-1959 (Wolverhampton Wanderers)

Beckham has been a good performer over the years for England and he has always wore his heart on his sleve, when it comes to his country, but I would not rank him up there with the all time English greats.

I don't' think that Beckham will be considered when England next plays a competitive game sometime in September or October ( I maybe wrong on that) and I think that Beckham's successor, whether it is Bentley, Lennon or Shaun Wright-Philips should be given a long run in so that he would be ready for the meaningful games.

I don't feel that it is right to give Beckham the 100th Cap on sentimental reasons, if he is not good enough anymore than he should remain on 99 Caps.

Number of posts : 1067

Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Beckham's 100th Cap   Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:55 pm

If this game had any meaning - DB would not be playing. I'm not a fan of him getting it for sentimental reasons, and I do agree with you, his successor should be given a long run to prove himself - I just hope these "modern" wingers fit into Capello's systems.
And you're right again - his name doesnt look right in that list
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Beckham's 100th Cap
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1