Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Heskey Back In The England Frame - ..Your Thoughts?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Heskey Back In The England Frame - ..Your Thoughts?   Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:38 pm

Im glad to see Heskey is back again, lets hope he doesnt get injured. He may not be the most prolific goal scorer, but he does give them a different dimension upfront with Rooney galloping about all over the place, Heskey is a decent target man if we need to use the long-ball tactic. I was reasonably impressed when he came on against Czech. I would like to know other peoples thoughts on him and england, etc and also who could be useful to solve the striking problems that England sem to have.

Maybe a re-call for Vassell based on his pre-season before he got injured??? lol
Back to top Go down
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5115

Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Heskey Back In The England Frame - ..Your Thoughts?   Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:20 pm

Capello watching Owen today. Missed one good chance when a Newcastle striker got in the way but he still should have put it away. Had another good chance on the header of a good cross, but not sure he did enough to impress Capello. Haven't seen the Wigan game yet will be on late tonight, but Heskey scored and maybe the one to play with Rooney. Would like Capello to see the Villa/Liverpool game tomorrow and check out Agbonlahor. Give Rooney and Heskey one half and Rooney and Agbonlahor the other half against Andorra. Crouch also had a good game against Everton today, so he maybe in the runing.

PostSubject: Re: Heskey Back In The England Frame - ..Your Thoughts?   Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:49 am

Or maybe, its time to get away from the striker partnership that depends on Rooney. I am begining to doubt Rooney and if he has anymore potential within him as such. We know he is a decent striker and has a good work-rate but even he told Fergie he wouldn't change and be more sel;fish with the ball because he likes being a team player. I think personally that Rooney has peaked and i dont think he has that ability of finding the back of the net as much anymore. In his day, i believe Owen was far better than Rooney is, was or ever will be, Owen may be slightly over the hill now, but he still finds the net, granted they may not be the most spectacular goals but never-the-less he stioll scores, which i have yet to see from Rooney.
Back to top Go down
abcdef

Number of posts : 1492

Registration date : 2008-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Heskey Back In The England Frame - ..Your Thoughts?   Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:08 pm

I doubt that Owen has much left in him. His constant lack of fitness is a concern, as well as rumours of discontent in the Newcastle board room.
Rooney does have more to offer and if the England team begins to perform than so shall he. There is no doubt that Rooney contributes massively to the Man Utd cause, and like the rest of the England team, there is no reason why they shouldn't replicate this success for England.

It is the serious lack of form of the international side that needs to be addressed, not the personnel, though the striking options do seem considerably thin. Capello now has the best part of 2 weeks with the squad and we will see what he manages to achieve in that side. Though we all expect so much, we have to appreciate that we are shit at the moment and morale is at an all time low.

Capello joked in the media that the fans expected us to "beat the Czechs 3-0, Andorra 8-0 and win in Croatia". I can't speak for everyone, but though we expect better from our team, we do not expect that. Not nearly. We drew with the Czechs, but played poorly. I for one would have settled for a better performance there, 3 points no matter the style in Andorra and a point in Croatia.

Heskey could play for England and offer something, but as you say Conservative, he is useful for "when we need to play the long ball". Well, we dont need to play the long ball. Not until the 75th minute onwards when we are a goal down. We have enough about us to be playing proper football and not hoofing the thing forward. And if we want to do that, frankly Crouch is a better option and in light of his good performance yesterday and his impressive goal scoring record for England, I am surprised he has been overlooked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Heskey Back In The England Frame - ..Your Thoughts?   Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:11 pm

England squad for World Cup qualifiers against Andorra and Croatia on September 6 and September 10: Robinson (Blackburn), James (Portsmouth), Green (West Ham); Lescott (Everton), Bridge (Chelsea), A Cole (Chelsea), Terry (Chelsea), Brown (Manchester United), Ferdinand (Manchester United), Johnson (Portsmouth), Upson (West Ham); Barry (Aston Villa), J Cole (Chelsea), Lampard (Chelsea), Bullard (Fulham), Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Downing (Middlesbrough), Bentley (Tottenham), Jenas (Tottenham); Walcott (Arsenal), Rooney (Manchester United), Defoe (Portsmouth), Heskey (Wigan).

No Owen No Crouch. So are we are looking at Rooney and Defoe with Heskey to come on if we need to change things up. Walcott is the only other possible striker in the team, but I am still not sure if he is a striker or a midfielder.

Number of posts : 5198

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Heskey Back In The England Frame - ..Your Thoughts?   Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:09 pm

I am not sure about Capello.

As much as I can understand Heskey being picked, I fail to see why he continues to cold shoulder Owen?

Its a bit of a worry, but I guess we have to let him get on with it.

I was once told by Dave Sexton, former manager of Chelsea and Man Utd.... that the strength of a squad is always how many good forwards you had.

While I have never really believed that..... when you read the four names in this English Squad.... Kinda spells how weak we really are.

PostSubject: Re: Heskey Back In The England Frame - ..Your Thoughts?   Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:31 pm

Some great replies, and i very much enjoyed reading them.

Lets just hope that England pull their finger out and manage to beat Andorra!! lol
Back to top Go down
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Heskey Back In The England Frame - ..Your Thoughts?   Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:35 pm

Lampard, Cole and Terry all miss training. Bet their all healthy for the game against City.

Heskey Back In The England Frame - ..Your Thoughts?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1