Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

England vs Kazakhstan

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TickTok

Number of posts : 5199

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: England vs Kazakhstan   Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:36 pm

Centre half 3rd choice would be Woodgate - Before he was injury prone we at Chelsea saw him and John being at the heart of the England defence for years to come.

I would also put King before anyone else as 4th choice on talent - but like Woodgate - their bodies are not strong enough to play too many games.

I admire Carragher for his honesty and playing a very difficult position well with a smaller body than most.

For me he hasnt never been in the top 4 England centre halfs - but that is not to say he isnt good enough.

Wheater of Middlebro is getting raving reviews this season with hs manager. who knows a thing or two about the position, stating he has everything to make an International defender.

Letting Woodgate go is a sure clue to how highly they rated Wheater.

huzup

Number of posts : 1067

Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: England vs Kazakhstan   Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:50 pm

The Gerrard Vs Lampard debate is NOT an issue of quality - I have always maintained (in my opinion) they are both world class players - and any team would be blessed to have either of them - having both is a dream come true. It's come to a point where fans of boh players are making out that Gerrard and Lampard are more important than England - I have no time for those who comment but couldnt care less about England - the issue is balance - those who use indiscipline against Gerrard do not watch Liverpool every week - the biggest and most single fact being Gerrard plays with 2 central midfielders, both who provide something different - if indiscipline was the case - playing Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard in the same team would be impossible. People fail to see that Gerrard has only been played in his best position in less than a handful of games for England - well one in fact - that was v Andorra - btw, the quality of the opposition is not Gerrards fault, so to use that wouldnt really work. Also, to then question why previous managers have chosen Lampard in a more advanced role goes back to the point of "a dream come true" - simplistically - how could you leave either out - 2 great talents, and what a waste it woud be (supposedly so) - Gerrard's quality, drive and passioin for football is a "get out of jail card for managers" - you know he will put in 100% whatever job he's given, and because of Englands lack of quality in other areas Gerrard has played RB, LB, RM, LM, CM, CDM, CAM, free role and ST so far in his England career - only CD and GK elude him.
Because of this, managers have got away with making the SG/FL debate a side issue.
Remember - those journalists who you see writing how Lampard should be the preferred choice are the same ones who said Gerrard HAS to be played in central midfield and Lampard should be on the bench - this was only 5 months ago - now there adamant Lampard has always been the one that should be picked since time immemorial. Like a few others, I have little time for journalists too - do you notice the trend here? - England fans and the media changing their opinions at the same time?

On central defenders - King and Woodgate would be my next choice, but both are usually injured leaving us with one of Upson and Lescott - as tick says Wheater is getting a lot of praise too, so another one to try out - dont let Everton fans fool you on Lescott - a long time to go before he should be genuinely considered.
On Carra - If Rio was injured, I would not pick Carra to partner Terry (if he was available) - just wouldnt work. Only Didier Drogba has troubled Carragher, he has faced some of the best strikers in Europe and stood up to be counted - his lack of pace is usually the main reason he has had to play second fiddle for England - dont read the tabloid view on Carragher's thoughts on England, if you ever do pick up his book, read it with an open mind - he loved playing for England, (and like Gerrard) his qualities have led him to play LB, CB, RB, RWB, LWB and CDM for England.

I think Rio did well enough as stand in captain - I'm gutted Ashley Cole is out, lucky we're not playing anyone of noticeable qulaity in Belarus - I'm guessing Gerrard will fill in there Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5115

Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: England vs Kazakhstan   Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:55 pm

A lot of story lines here.

It is a shame about A. Cole being out but hasn't Barry played at Left Back?

I have said it before, but I don't think there is anything wrong with the journalists who are pumping for Lampard now, are the same ones that were pumping for Gerrard last year. You can only play one of them in the middle so you go with the one with better form.

Read something on line the other day, can't remember where, but they were asking the question do we really need a holding midfield against most of the teams in the world? The top 6 or 7 maybe, but against the rest can't England just do what they did in the second half on Saturday and let Gerrard and Lampard work it out on the pitch when one goes forward and the other stays back? I am not sure it's that simple.

Third choice Centre Back? Bobby Robson calls Woodgate the most talented Centre Back in England. Have to wonder why he didn't even make the team, obvious Capello doesn't rate him that high. I think if Woodgate didn't have his injury problems, although he has played in every minute of every Spurs league games this year, he would have to be at least the third choice. Maybe even a Rio/Woodgate partnership would be England's best, but with Woodgate's injuries you have to go with Rio/Terry for the first choice Centre Backs. Wheater is definitely one to watch, will be interesting to see if Middlesbrough manage to keep him away from one of the big four, Arsenal seem to be the weakest in that area. But being a local boy he may want to stay at Middlesbrough for some time. King can't play two games in a row for Spurs and I understand his knee or knees are practically shot.

re Chelsea players being made of glass; I don't think that is necessarily so, but I think there is a mentality at the club that injured players have to get back in the squad as soon as possible. It seems to me that they come back too soon from serious injuries, don't give their bodies the proper time to heal and are therefore susceptible to being re injured.

Finally don't discount Belarus at home, England should win but it is not an easy or friendly place to go and I believe Belarus have had some decent results at home. I know Argentina drew 0-0 there not so long ago.

Number of posts : 1067

Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: England vs Kazakhstan   Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:48 pm

had a good result against Holland too recently I think - wont be easy, but a win is a must so we can qualify early.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abcdef

Number of posts : 1492

Registration date : 2008-01-07

PostSubject: Re: England vs Kazakhstan   Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:48 pm

It will make a change from not qualifying at all.

Capello was saying how Belarus mimicked Arsenal in style with their freeflowing passing and movement. Though I'm sure they are not as good as Arsenals side, perhaps we can be assured that they wont have many shots!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: England vs Kazakhstan   

Back to top Go down

England vs Kazakhstan
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2