Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Belarus v England

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
abcdef

Number of posts : 1492

Registration date : 2008-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Belarus v England   Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:01 am

What is your definition of World Class? By my reckoning, Reina and Mascherano wouldnt be world class.
If Internationall class is being an international player then for me, being World class would mean being included in a World squad of 16 players. Thats my definition and might not be equal to yours.

Torres would be world class and perhaps Gerrard too, but not the others.

It is my belief that the term "World Class" is banded around too much and no one really knows what it means.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Belarus v England   Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:07 am

abcdef wrote:
What is your definition of World Class? By my reckoning, Reina and Mascherano wouldnt be world class.
If Internationall class is being an international player then for me, being World class would mean being included in a World squad of 16 players. Thats my definition and might not be equal to yours.

Torres would be world class and perhaps Gerrard too, but not the others.

It is my belief that the term "World Class" is banded around too much and no one really knows what it means.
World class is is definately down to interpretation. So if they are not, name the players who are better than those in those positions? Give at least two for each if you can.
Back to top Go down
abcdef

PostSubject: Re: Belarus v England   Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:44 am

Two is the right number, probably, since a World squad would have 2 keepers 6 defenders 6 midfielders and 4 strikers for example.

Keepers is probably pretty simple as I would have Casillas and Cech. Reina is a top keeper no doubt and I'm sure personal opinion could place him above these two keepers, but not in my opinion (thats what these boards are all about eh?)

As for midfielders, there are easily 6 midfielders better than Mascherano and I wont list them all. If you wanted to pull for holding midfielders, in a 6 midfielder group I would only need 1 but I couldnt choose one that would be head and shoulders above him. Just for the sake of argument though, as a Utd fan (and otherwise) I would still rather have our own Hargreaves than Mascherano. I expect you would disagree though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Belarus v England   Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:16 am

Would being in the squad of 16 make you one of the 16 best players in the world? Is that the same as being world class? I think making that team is a bigger complement than being world class. My world class definition would be a player who could walk into any team where they don't already have a world class player in that position.

abcdef wrote:
Two is the right number, probably, since a World squad would have 2 keepers 6 defenders 6 midfielders and 4 strikers for example.

Keepers is probably pretty simple as I would have Casillas and Cech. Reina is a top keeper no doubt and I'm sure personal opinion could place him above these two keepers, but not in my opinion (thats what these boards are all about eh?)
For me Reina,along with Casillas and Cech are the best keepers. In your definition of squad of 16 I would agree with any selection of those two. I have to say incase anyone tries to accuse me of it, I would never never claim any Liverpool player as being the worlds best, past or present.

abcdef wrote:

As for midfielders, there are easily 6 midfielders better than Mascherano and I wont list them all. If you wanted to pull for holding midfielders, in a 6 midfielder group I would only need 1 but I couldnt choose one that would be head and shoulders above him. Just for the sake of argument though, as a Utd fan (and otherwise) I would still rather have our own Hargreaves than Mascherano. I expect you would disagree though.
Defining the best midfielder is difficult I think. How do you define the best. Is an attacking midfielder better than a holding midfielder? Would it have to be a team that has balance and could play together? In that case I think we do have to define it to roles.
I would agree the midfield role I refer is as a holding midfield player...and you would be right about expecting me to disagree Very Happy
Back to top Go down
abcdef

PostSubject: Re: Belarus v England   Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:36 pm

simpleman wrote:
My world class definition would be a player who could walk into any team where they don't already have a world class player in that position.
I dont quite get this definition Razz. Surely they is always one team that has a world class player in any given position. That said, another player cannot walk into any team....

Example: Lets take Reina. He could walk into West Brom, Atalanta, Orlando Pirates because they do not have a world class player in that position. Real Madrid have and he couldnt just walk in there. So does that mean hes not world class since he cant walk into "any" team?

Finally, since you havent said clearly yet...do you indeed regard both these players as world class, and also, what do others think? What is world class? And who?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Belarus v England   Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:27 pm

abcdef wrote:
simpleman wrote:
My world class definition would be a player who could walk into any team where they don't already have a world class player in that position.
I dont quite get this definition Razz. Surely they is always one team that has a world class player in any given position. That said, another player cannot walk into any team....

Example: Lets take Reina. He could walk into West Brom, Atalanta, Orlando Pirates because they do not have a world class player in that position. Real Madrid have and he couldnt just walk in there. So does that mean hes not world class since he cant walk into "any" team?
I think I understand what you mean.
Cech is a world class player but he couldn't get into the Liverpool team because there is already a world class player in his position. He is still world class. Where Cech could get into the Man U team because Van Der Sar isn't world class.
So Cech could walk into any team where that team doesn't already have a world class player in his position. The caveat was to stop people suggesting one world class player is better than the other, ie Reina is better than Cech because Cech wouldn't get into the current Liverpool team.
Or if you prefer you can ignore the current players at a club and just say a world class player is a player who is good enough to play for any club.
abcdef wrote:

Finally, since you havent said clearly yet...do you indeed regard both these players as world class
What two players? Cech and Casillas? If so yes I do. I can't see why you have to limit the number of world class players you can have for one position.
Back to top Go down
abcdef

PostSubject: Re: Belarus v England   Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:52 pm

No. Reina and Mascherano, though you have already said Reina is world class.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Belarus v England   Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:58 pm

I was clear several posts back
simpleman wrote:

Without doubt Reina and Mascherano are world class.
Back to top Go down
TickTok

Number of posts : 5199

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Belarus v England   Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:16 pm

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Belarus v England   

Back to top Go down

Belarus v England
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2