Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Owais Shah.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
abcdef

Number of posts : 1492

Registration date : 2008-01-07

PostSubject: Owais Shah.   Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:55 pm

Had a couple of games now at number 3 for England and it springs to notice that he has taken A LOT OF TIME to get the few runs he has got. Now, number 3 should be the teams playmaker and he most certainly is not.

With a run rate like that perhaps he should open the batting with Strauss. A left right combo, with Shah taken the time necessary to see off the new ball for a fluent number 3 batsman? Not sure what people think on this. Shahs entry at 3 is ok if we lose an early wicket, but otherwise, its just not right.
After a 100 run opening partnership, he is liable to lose momentum for us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TickTok

Number of posts : 5199

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Owais Shah.   Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:16 pm

I have been thinking about what you have said about Shah and wonder if with time he will become more fluent as he is known as a good stroke maker at one day cricket and should have no trouble playing in the same vein at the highest level.

I think he wants the position n is trying to curb the outlandish shots he has been known to get out to in the past and I am happy to allow him time to find his feet as the player he replaced has had close to 5 years to prove he belongs only to never really convince he is a test match batsman.

A question I would raise on this tour is - why is Sidebottom not getting a go?

huzup

Number of posts : 1067

Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Owais Shah.   Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:57 pm

I think he needs time to settle in to that position - he was very slow in getting his runs in the first innings, but he is a talented shot player. As tick says he is known for his outlandish shots and he is known to get straight in to it - it must be something that he is being coached on at test level. His attitude has a touch of KP-ness about it. When he plays against the better teams he will have to quicken up - I'm sure he'll grow into it.

As for Sidebottom - if Anderson is playing then there is no need for two swing bowlers on flat wickets - although the angle he gets is something different for opening batsman - not sure if Sidebottom is fully fit either.

sidenote - what does Bopara have to do to get a permanent position in the side? Not sure where he'd bat in this lineup, but he needs to be made a regular.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TickTok

Number of posts : 5199

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Owais Shah.   Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:29 am

huzup wrote:
I think he needs time to settle in to that position - he was very slow in getting his runs in the first innings, but he is a talented shot player. As tick says he is known for his outlandish shots and he is known to get straight in to it - it must be something that he is being coached on at test level. His attitude has a touch of KP-ness about it. When he plays against the better teams he will have to quicken up - I'm sure he'll grow into it.

As for Sidebottom - if Anderson is playing then there is no need for two swing bowlers on flat wickets - although the angle he gets is something different for opening batsman - not sure if Sidebottom is fully fit either.

sidenote - what does Bopara have to do to get a permanent position in the side? Not sure where he'd bat in this lineup, but he needs to be made a regular.

As you know I am high on Bopara n was dissapointed to see him ommitted so quickly. It looks like they have his bowling penciled in as not effective at the highest level - which I guess makes him the opposite to Freddie, who's batting I have as extremely over rated.

I would pick Sidebottom before Anderson everytime.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Owais Shah.   

Back to top Go down

Owais Shah.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1