Talk-Football

Football conversation between followers of the worlds fav game.
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Southampton set for relegation as FL docks 10 points

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
huzup

avatar

Number of posts : 1067
Points :
89 / 99989 / 999

Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Southampton set for relegation as FL docks 10 points   Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:27 pm

Southampton will be relegated from the Championship after being docked 10 points by the Football League.

The penalty comes after the club's parent company went into administration at the start of April.

Southampton are currently four points off safety with two games to go and, even if they beat the drop, they will be deducted 10 points.
----------
Seems as the league has decided that even if it is the holding company you will still get punished
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TickTok

avatar

Number of posts : 5199
Points :
115 / 999115 / 999

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Southampton set for relegation as FL docks 10 points   Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:17 pm

Well there is two ways of looking at this.

The league is right to be strict with its membership to stop the spend n bust of clubs like leicester in the past.

They are over strict in cases like this when a club is solvent - only its owners other business interests are in trouble.

For me its sad for who it is - Southampton were a fine first division club for many years.

Its amazing a club can be half a billion in debt - cheat with loan signings they NEVER had any intension of signing - n be aloud to borrow more money to buy players n pay them off over a number of years - yet nothing is done.

Strange we live in.

_________________
He (Pogba) will score. United are going to use him like Chelsea used Lampard. You watch. Red 07Aug16
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 5115
Points :
130 / 999130 / 999

Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Southampton set for relegation as FL docks 10 points   Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:21 pm

TickTok wrote:
Its amazing a club can be half a billion in debt - cheat with loan signings they NEVER had any intension of signing - n be aloud to borrow more money to buy players n pay them off over a number of years - yet nothing is done.

Strange we live in.

So you don't think Chelsea will sign Quaresma permanently in the summer?

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abcdef

avatar

Number of posts : 1492
Points :
40 / 99940 / 999

Registration date : 2008-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Southampton set for relegation as FL docks 10 points   Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:28 am

It is nice (very sweet) that Tick takes this issue as an opportunity to have a dig at Utd. Almost poetic (thats poetic, not pathetic).

This is a situation that I have actually followed loosely recently, because I had an interview at PWC and was required to have followed a business issue. For this, I decided to tie in my choice of business isue with a hobby (of course, football) and settled on Southamptons struggles as a perfect example.

For me, I am pleased this stand has been taken, not because I hold anything against Southampton, but because it is the only way forward.

No matter what the problem with the holding company/club, or the relationship between the two, if one goes so must the other.

Imagine that Southamptons claims, that the holding companys problems should not affect their league status, should not let them incur the 10 point penalty...

We would have teams forging false holding companys and putting them into liquidation instead of the football club to avoid point penalties. It would be legally, a very easy thing to do. Any company bidding to take over a football company need only form a holding company and buy the club in its name. Then in times of struggle, send the holding company down (not the club) and claim the 10 point penalty is unjust.

As much as it is a shame for SFC, and no matter the actual relation between holding company and club (and of course other business for the holding company), SFC must face the same sanction as any club going into administration.


And while we are on the topic of football clubs as businesses, arent Chelsea FC in a large amount of debt to one Mr Abramovich??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TickTok

avatar

Number of posts : 5199
Points :
115 / 999115 / 999

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Southampton set for relegation as FL docks 10 points   Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:10 am

Redcanuck wrote:
TickTok wrote:
Its amazing a club can be half a billion in debt - cheat with loan signings they NEVER had any intension of signing - n be aloud to borrow more money to buy players n pay them off over a number of years - yet nothing is done.

Strange we live in.

So you don't think Chelsea will sign Quaresma permanently in the summer?

No, and to use a 5 month loan from another CLUB compaired to Tevez 2+year loan deal from a third party company is laughable when you consider the bullshit that came out of utd saying this was going to lead to him signing a real deal.

Liverpool have no money but honour - they signed their player from these people.

United are pure n simple cheats n all thats happened at the club while he is there is TAINTED unless they actully pay for him.

_________________
He (Pogba) will score. United are going to use him like Chelsea used Lampard. You watch. Red 07Aug16
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TickTok

avatar

Number of posts : 5199
Points :
115 / 999115 / 999

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Southampton set for relegation as FL docks 10 points   Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:21 am

abcdef wrote:
It is nice (very sweet) that Tick takes this issue as an opportunity to have a dig at Utd. Almost poetic (thats poetic, not pathetic).

This is a situation that I have actually followed loosely recently, because I had an interview at PWC and was required to have followed a business issue. For this, I decided to tie in my choice of business isue with a hobby (of course, football) and settled on Southamptons struggles as a perfect example.

For me, I am pleased this stand has been taken, not because I hold anything against Southampton, but because it is the only way forward.

No matter what the problem with the holding company/club, or the relationship between the two, if one goes so must the other.

Imagine that Southamptons claims, that the holding companys problems should not affect their league status, should not let them incur the 10 point penalty...

We would have teams forging false holding companys and putting them into liquidation instead of the football club to avoid point penalties. It would be legally, a very easy thing to do. Any company bidding to take over a football company need only form a holding company and buy the club in its name. Then in times of struggle, send the holding company down (not the club) and claim the 10 point penalty is unjust.

As much as it is a shame for SFC, and no matter the actual relation between holding company and club (and of course other business for the holding company), SFC must face the same sanction as any club going into administration.


And while we are on the topic of football clubs as businesses, arent Chelsea FC in a large amount of debt to one Mr Abramovich??

How is a debt if the guy who owns the club is owed the money? The money you talk of has been HALVED in the last 6 months. There are NO INTEREST payments, unlike your clubs woefull accounts.

Again comparing your clubs debts with Chelsea's is as Bruce Buck said pathetic, and shows a deep lack of understadning of business. (Thats not a dig at you abcdef, his quote was pointed at the media who always counter balance Uniteds debts compared to what they think Chelsea owe.)

and on your opening line - well they might be digs but, Truth hurts doesnt it?

_________________
He (Pogba) will score. United are going to use him like Chelsea used Lampard. You watch. Red 07Aug16
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abcdef

avatar

Number of posts : 1492
Points :
40 / 99940 / 999

Registration date : 2008-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Southampton set for relegation as FL docks 10 points   Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:40 pm

Well (touch wood) it hasnt actually hurt us yet. Title hat trick number 2 is well on the cards...

...perhaps thats what is hurting you?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TickTok

avatar

Number of posts : 5199
Points :
115 / 999115 / 999

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Southampton set for relegation as FL docks 10 points   Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:26 pm

abcdef wrote:
Well (touch wood) it hasnt actually hurt us yet. Title hat trick number 2 is well on the cards...

...perhaps thats what is hurting you?

As I said back in October when you n others were still fretting over fixture lists n being hard done by - We would not win the league - There is no hurt when you already know whats coming - Experience n a sharp understanding of football - Helps you know Wink

Last 2 seasons u have won the title n CL because of ill fortune to Chelsea - you were not the best team either season and was played off the park in Moscow where a sod of earth saved u.

I have no complaints this season - it was obvious around October.

_________________
He (Pogba) will score. United are going to use him like Chelsea used Lampard. You watch. Red 07Aug16
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Redcanuck
Admin
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 5115
Points :
130 / 999130 / 999

Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Southampton set for relegation as FL docks 10 points   Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:27 pm

I was being facetious about Quaresma, of course it is different and thankfully this season will see the end of these kinds of loan deals.

I do think United where serious about signing Tevez permanently when they first made the loan deal, and would still like to sign him permanently even now. The problem is that Tevez has become a role or squad player and you don't spend 32 million on players who won't start most of your games. You can criticize the deal all you want, but it is perfectly legal and to para phrase Bruce Buck it shows a deep lack of understanding of the business football has unfortunately become.

It will be interesting to see where Tevez ends up and for how much money. Reports that Liverpool are after him are hilarious. Do you honestly think they will give his owners 32 million for him? Real Madrid might, because they can tap their rich supporters or get the Spanish government to buy their training ground again. Platini talks constantly about English clubs spending above their weight, but ignores that Real Madrid for decades have been living above their means.

As for Abramovich's "Loan", I am sure that was done more for accounting or tax reasons than an actually desire to get his money back one day. Although if Abramovich's protector Putin ever disappears from the Russian political scene, Abramovich, the only Russian Oligarchy who has keep the money that was made after the fall of the old Soviet Union, could be in trouble. Also an owner putting in his own money is not in my opinion the same as borrowing from a bank, although there are people in football who do consider it the same thing. Platini for one, who's criticism of Chelsea seems to be harsher than his criticism of Man United.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TickTok

avatar

Number of posts : 5199
Points :
115 / 999115 / 999

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Southampton set for relegation as FL docks 10 points   Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:12 pm

Redcanuck wrote:
I was being facetious about Quaresma, of course it is different and thankfully this season will see the end of these kinds of loan deals.

I do think United where serious about signing Tevez permanently when they first made the loan deal, and would still like to sign him permanently even now. The problem is that Tevez has become a role or squad player and you don't spend 32 million on players who won't start most of your games. You can criticize the deal all you want, but it is perfectly legal and to para phrase Bruce Buck it shows a deep lack of understanding of the business football has unfortunately become.

It will be interesting to see where Tevez ends up and for how much money. Reports that Liverpool are after him are hilarious. Do you honestly think they will give his owners 32 million for him? Real Madrid might, because they can tap their rich supporters or get the Spanish government to buy their training ground again. Platini talks constantly about English clubs spending above their weight, but ignores that Real Madrid for decades have been living above their means.

As for Abramovich's "Loan", I am sure that was done more for accounting or tax reasons than an actually desire to get his money back one day. Although if Abramovich's protector Putin ever disappears from the Russian political scene, Abramovich, the only Russian Oligarchy who has keep the money that was made after the fall of the old Soviet Union, could be in trouble. Also an owner putting in his own money is not in my opinion the same as borrowing from a bank, although there are people in football who do consider it the same thing. Platini for one, who's criticism of Chelsea seems to be harsher than his criticism of Man United.

Some good points Red - Just one I want to answer - your last on Platini.

The reason Platini gets at Chelsea more than United is - he fears Roman.

While United are in so much debt - Platini has a bargining chip\Trump trading card against the club.

With Chelsea he has nothing - Its a club growing faster than any other in Europe - Owned by a man who loves football - with influence in many places - and if I was to speak of the many stories I have been told about going on with Roman involved - Like the introduction of a new competition to replace the Champions League - well you would say I was looking to get a job on Jackanory - (haha - I wonder how many of the younger members know what that was?)

_________________
He (Pogba) will score. United are going to use him like Chelsea used Lampard. You watch. Red 07Aug16
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abcdef

avatar

Number of posts : 1492
Points :
40 / 99940 / 999

Registration date : 2008-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Southampton set for relegation as FL docks 10 points   Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:23 pm

Now Tevez has started more PL games this season than Rooney and Berbatov. His impacts on the pitch just havent been that great. I think 16 starts and 3 goals...now that is not good enough. Though, I do agree with you Red, we had every intention of signing him, but this is where we have won with the deal, a good deal for clubs and I will not budge on this issue. For 32m we would have wasted our money, but instead, we have had a taster of what Tevez has to offer and for all his spirit, heart and fight, 3 goals in 16 is not enough for Utd. Berbatov isnt much better and for 30m there, we have lost. If only we could have taken him on loan first and we would have saved ourself the waste.

Tick, I assure you, I have never worried about our fixture list. We couldnt have got better. All the top teams away from home early in the season when all we have to contend with are easy CL fixtures. Pity the gaffer complained...clearly he doesnt know what I do Shocked
Left us with easy fixtures in the close season when we have to deal with the knockout CL games and the FA cup. Why we rested our squad for an FA cup semi final, instead of a more than simple home league game against Pompey, I do not know. If I could have a sit down meal with Sir Alex, I would respectfully have asked him just that. But then, what do I know?

Now, Utd Spurs is about to KO, so heres hoping for a good result.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Southampton set for relegation as FL docks 10 points   

Back to top Go down
 
Southampton set for relegation as FL docks 10 points
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» New forest/ southampton area
» NSW double demerit points/fines speeding from fri to monday
» Championship Predictions Winner/Relegation
» Kruise Ship Kombis - Friday 28th Oct 2011, Southampton
» Relegation/promotion in the Blue Square North

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Talk-Football :: Domestic Football :: Coca Cola Championship 1&2-
Jump to: